Thursday, August 26, 2010

We'll Get There

Typical week in the life, it hasn't been. Instead, it's been a wonderful dose of holiday and saturated fat, in the best possible way, of course.

I'm finding it interesting, on the dawn of my 51st day depression-free, that I have never been so enthused about investing in the lives of people as I am now, or at least, as I have been this week and last. For instance...

Monday: A post traffic-jam lunch out with an old friend turned into a pilgrimage through each and every book, home furnishing, and cookware shop that Eastwood has to offer. And during this journey, conversation thickened with the realization that we both share the same opinion regarding my hometown. Now, this doesn't seem like such a big deal, but when you try to tell the average Williamston family that there might, just might, be something invisibly toxic about their town, well. Let's just say, it doesn't go very far. It was a Monday well spent indeed.

Now, that was just Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday both turned out to be replete with conversation and exploration...with trading marbles and painting clubhouses and legos and hot soup and creative card-making. And after all of that, I sat down with three particularly wonderful friends, on separate occasions, on one single glorious day; and all three of them fed into me as I fed into them. Individually, we weaved our colors into each other's, and things got brighter inside of almost-fallen tears. And then, we slept.

So, although I woke to find an unfortunate scratch and painted dent on the side of my car from a kind and honest stranger, I was left with something else. Something a little better, I daresay. I think, after a day or so of letting it all sink in, that I was left on more solid ground than even the night before. That because of these individuals and more, I am surrounded by understanding nods, squeeze-the-life-out-of-me embraces, listening ears, intelligent minds, and brave souls. Genuinely remarkable human beings. Do you understand? This is something to value, and I do! I do. Most ardently.

The rest of the day has been spent doing one thing or another, mostly packing up my mess of a place to sleep at my parents' house. I've to go and finish that now, or at least continue. Until next time, then.

Delicious.

No comments: