Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eight Week Win

I figured I'd get out of August with a bang, as well as herald the 8th week of my non-depression. So, currently, I'm living in Shaw Hall at MSU in a not-too-shabby little room. It's just the right size for me and my guitar, and half of my wall space is taken up by windows facing north and west. Bring on the sunset, baby, and the cross-breeze...because it's hot as Hades in East Lansing.

My dad sent me a quote today over email (from Albert Einstein, whom he referred to as one of my 'brethren'-another reason why my dad is a keeper) and it reads:

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X+Y+Z, where X
is work, Y is play, and Z is keep your mouth shut."
-- Albert Einstein

He said that he thought it was cute, if not true. Personally, no offense to the great AE, I wouldn't be half as successful as I am right now if I had been keeping my mouth shut. Now, he probably meant to keep your mouth shut in situations where it would be most prudent to do so, such as during a lecture, while arguing with an idiot, while feeling insubordinate and full of angst, while concentrating on solving the Schroedinger equation, or perhaps while traveling at nearly the speed of light. In my life, though, I certainly wouldn't be published in the field of nuclear physics yet and most definitely would not have had my summer job in stellar astrophysics research if I had been shy and kept my mouth shut. Because I believe that my mouth has a lot to offer, and it's proven itself quite able in the past semester or so, considering all of the things that had been trying to pull me down.

Success can be defined many different ways. Mine is defined by opening my mouth at the right time. So, thanks for the quote, Einstein (and dad), I'll make sure to work as hard as I can, play as often as I have time, and keep my mouth shut unless opening it will make my life that much more enriched. Sound advice, for somebody who can think as abstractly as Einstein; and for my mind as well, which has always been a little bit different.

Delicious.

No comments: