Friday, August 20, 2010

Back to Basics

So, blogosphere, I just watched Julie&Julia for the first time. For those of you who have seen the film or read the book, you understand why I am currently feeling reinvigorated and re-inspired to put finger to keyboard. Julie's journey through cyberspace and reality reminded me of my own journey, mostly the journey that I've taken through cyberspace. Reality remains up and coming, and those are stories for another day.

For now, cyberspace.

I remember my first LiveJournal, which ended abruptly when I decided that I needed something less full of angst and different colored fonts. My life was taking me slowly through adolescence, and I didn't want to sound like a child to the rest of the digital world. So, I took up this blog. March of 2005, and I was fourteen. Five years. Can you believe it?

To my pleasant surprise, I ended up meeting several people from around the globe. We followed each other's lives, groping along as if we were climbing a staircase in the dark; we couldn't see one another but we felt the days going by in the shoes of a wireless friend. There were the spunky and wildly fun Dutch twins Lena and Dina, strong and capable activist Nettie, friendly and supportive Maurice, warm and wonderful Melissa, and several others salted and peppered here and there throughout my typed-up existence.

To this day, over five years later, I still am in communication with some of these people. In fact, I had the pleasure of driving down to Kentucky this summer to visit Melissa's inviting home and spend an absolutely lovely day with her. Sometimes the greatest friendships come from unlikely places, I've found.

Now, somewhere along the line, the blogging fad fizzled out and so did these cross-comment-induced friendships. I used to write one post, sometimes two posts, every day and could expect at least one comment within the hour or so. I do miss it, but maybe if a blogger can get one or two good friends from the experience, it was well worth it. I think so.

So, maybe my blog will never be as big as Julie's, certainly it won't! I do, however, feel that this experience has and is allowing for readers, known or unknown, to experience a layer of me that is usually unseen. I value that. It's one of those things that make me smile. So this is why I continue to write, however infrequently or frequently, and I will for as long as my fingers will move quickly enough.

Until next time, my traditional, nonsensical sign-off:
Delicious.

No comments: