Monday, April 30, 2007

Catch Me Around Here

Our Town, although we seemed to have quite the problem getting more than 30 people in our audience, went extremely well.

It's a little hard for me to say goodbye to a character, at least, now it is. It took me until after the closing matinee to realize that I had really become Julia Hersey. Julia Hersey who loved her husband Frank Gibbs. She was deeply, madly in love with him...although it had been an arranged marriage and she hadn't a clue what she was getting herself into. She had raised two children with him, watched the eldest get married with him, argued with him, agreed with him, everything... everything she did with him, she did out of love with him. Julia Hersey felt things that Becca Robinson had never felt...ever. Becca Robinson is friends with Christian Scott, but Julia Hersey was crazily in love with Frank Gibbs.

I've never analyzed a character quite like Julia. Of course, that may be because I've been a little actress in every other production except for musicals, which don't require much character analysis. Musicals require eccentricity, talent, and spontinaety. Our Town? Required simple, genuine acting.

I've never felt so overwhelmed over closing a play. Once Upon a Mattress was the most fun I've had, but Our Town hand-delivered the most amazement I've ever had. It delivered tears, it delievered sweat, it delievered blood, it delivered smiles, laughter, shennanigans, you name it. Such a whirlwind of things swept me off of my feet at the same time, and I had been so immersed in it that I didn't even realize until we closed yesterday.

Becca Robinson became Julia Hersey and Julia Hersey gave Becca Robinson the chance to feel things that I may never feel as myself. Empathy. How to be a mother. Even... love.

It scared me... yes... I felt the L-word. The L-word. Something I never anticipated feeling... but i didn't. Not as myself, anyway. Julia felt it. Julia had always felt it, so it was natural for her. When Julia left Becca, the L-word left too. Now Becca has a big empty-spot...but all she has to do is wait for the next theatre season to start again.


It's funny... you'd think I'd be lamenting the fact that Our Town was the last play I'd do with this year's seniors, but it was such an amazing experience that I'm just grateful for the memories. As for lament? I miss Julia Hersey-Gibbs. I miss her, but I know that she'll always hold a very special, sacred place in the core of my heart.


Delicious.

3 comments:

Nettie said...

hey you know what, pretty soon, you'll be this year's seniors...

Melissa said...

It sounds to me like you have grown both as an actor and a person...that was an awesome post...great fluid read!

Katie (Olivena) said...

oh strawberry phosphates...